Community Coalition and Professional Development
Community Health Outreach Supported Coalitions with United General District 304
Concrete Resource Coalition (CRC)
A community based coalition made up of several different sectors including law enforcement, schools, local business owners, county and town government, behavioral health, medical care, high school students, social services, media, and youth serving organizations.
The coalition prioritizes community needs by assessing local data, accessing resources, hosting focus groups and conducting key informant interviews to set an action plan. For the 2017-2018 school year the coalition has set the following priorities:
- Reduce Family Management Problems- Increase Parenting Skills
- Decrease Early Initiation of Problem Behaviors- Increase social skills for students K-12
- Increase opportunities for pro-social activities- Support Concrete Youth Activity Day and send youth to local leadership events
- Decrease favorable attitudes tolerant of youth marijuana use
- Increase perception of enforcement of underage drinking laws
- Increase the community capacity and readiness to address alcohol, tobacco and other drugs issues in the East Skagit County
United General District 304 works with eastern Skagit County communities because the coalition’s mission and purpose aligns with United Generals mission of building healthier communities!
CPWI-STR Mount Vernon | MV HOPE (Mount Vernon Healthy Outcomes through Prevention Efforts)
MV HOPE is a program funded by a Federal grant to address the opioid epidemic. Specifically, this funding is to start a new drug prevention coalition in Mount Vernon. The coalition is in the process of developing a strategic plan to align with local needs and conditions surrounding prescription drug misuse. MV HOPE has already conducted a drug-take back event, and will be determining other evidenced-based strategies to prevent opioid misuse. Prevention of drug use is the most effective and efficient strategy in the “war on drugs” and a core tenant of prevention is the building of healthy communities – United General District 304’s primary mission.
Skagit County Child and Family Consortium www.sccfc.org
SCCFC brings together community coalitions, service providers, school districts, and others serving children and families in Skagit County for networking, learning, and collaboration. SCCFC has offered several professional development opportunities focused on a variety of issues, including: Substance Abuse Prevention, Adverse Childhood Experiences, Resiliency, Motivational Interviewing, Youth Leadership, and Cultural Diversity. United General supports the work of the Children’s Council and the SCCFC and our collective missions to build partnership and promote healthy living. United serves as the fiscal agent for the Consortium.
Visit www.sccfc.org or contact Lyndie Case at (360) 854-7176 for more information.
Sub-committee of SCCFC:
Substance Abuse Prevention Committee (SAPC) is sub-coalition of the SCCFC, made up of a variety of individuals who emphasize prevention as a response to drug, alcohol, and tobacco use in the Skagit Valley. This group has:
- Created the Power in Numbers social norms campaign that has shown to be successful for reduction of underage drinking prevention;
- Sponsored Spanish translation of “A Parent’s Guide to Preventing Underage Marijuana Use” and distributed this guide to families of middle school students in Concrete, Sedro-Woolley, and Mount Vernon;
and will continue to make the Skagit Valley a healthier place. SAPC meets on the first Wednesday of every month. If you’re interested in joining or would like more information, contact Lyndie Case at (360) 854-7176.