- Talk to your medical or dental provider about other options for managing pain.
- Learn the facts about your medications and their risk for addiction and overdose.
- Store medicines in a locking cabinet, box, or bag and keep the key securely in another location.
- Keep an inventory of current medications to be aware if something goes missing.
- Never share your prescriptions with others.
- Safeguard your kids by talking openly with them about your family’s policy on drugs and medications of all kinds.
- Learn how to respond to an overdose and how to obtain and administer naloxone (aka Narcan®) the medication that can temporarily reverse an opioid overdose.
Dispose of any unused, unneeded, or expired medications right away. Year-round take back sites and mail-in options can be found at med-project.org